It’s the weekend and you have a hankering for a tasty, salty, lip-smacking treat. But you’d like it sans calories, fat and other nasties, thank you very much!
If you’re a hot chip lover like me, then you’re going to love this healthy snack I just whipped up.
Introducing my Super Spicy Sweet Potato Chips!
What you need
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1tbs olive oil or another heart-friendly vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp Cajun seasoning (check the salt content before you buy)
Think of these as a ‘sometimes’ snack. I recommend sharing them with someone.
Serves: 2 (if having it as a snack)
Calories: approx 140 per serve (depending on sweet potato size. I recommend adding each ingredient to a calorie tracker like My Fitness Pal.)
Fat: approx 9g per serve
How to make it
This one is so easy, you could probably do it with your eyes closed. Please don’t though – that could get messy.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- Peel the sweet potato (it’s best not to wash it after it’s peeled, as the oil won’t stick and your chips could go soggy)
- Cut the potato in half
- Cut each half into 5cm x 1cm chips (these are ‘ish’ measurements – you just need to cut them to resemble chips)
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the chips on the tray (don’t worry about lining them up just yet)
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the chips. Don’t drown them; they should glisten
- Sprinkle the Cajun seasoning and black pepper over the chip pile
- Smoosh the chips around with your fingers to coat them in the oil and seasoning
- Line the chips up on the tray, with an even space between them. It’s really important not to let them touch, as otherwise they’ll sweat and go soggy
- Place the tray in the oven
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the chips over
- Bake for another 10 minutes, or until they are soft and brown
- Pull the tray out of the oven, pour the chips into a bowl and…..EAT THEEEEM! YUM!
That’s it! A super filling, super scrummy and super easy recipe for hot chips! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to eat my chips in front of a chick flick. Ahhh, I love weekends.